For people starting a gluten-free and/or non-dairy diet, breakfast is often a source of concern. And this problem can sometimes be a brake or a reason for renunciation. Indeed, many people are relatively easy to plan in a lunch or dinner without gluten, but cannot conceive a breakfast without bread or pastries. I was recently asked the question, “How am I going to replace croissants? There are gluten-free croissants? ”
So, yes, there are gluten-free croissants, but I do not recommend, because they are often unhealthy industrial products, rich in poor quality fat, sugar, and additives of any kind … for a result anyway unsatisfactory. Only a few artisan bakers or confectioners manage to offer quality products in their shops dedicated to gluten-free.
So how do we do it?
I have two answers to this question.
First, we can not start a gluten-free diet (or any other “different” diet for that matter) without an initial phase of acceptance: we must accept to eat differently.
Certainly by getting closer to what we knew before because unless you go live in the desert, it is still important not to be too marginalized to maintain a fulfilling social life. But it would be utopian to believe that we will eat exactly as before … no, we will eat differently … but better!
And then, when we make the choice of a healthy diet and therefore diverse, precisely … we diversify!
Who said breakfast should boil down to toast and croissants?
How many breakfasts in other countries of the world are confined to these two types of food?
Why do not we think of other foods at that time, such as fruits, vegetables, eggs, oilseeds, seeds … and even meat or fish?
The breakfast is for me very important, because it allows to bring the necessary energy to start well the day, and it is a meal which can be hearty.
Indeed, who has never heard the famous saying:
“You must eat like a king in the morning, like a prince at noon and like a poor man at night.”
But we know that many people “zap” breakfast, lack of time or lack of appetite … or engulf ready preparations, rich in bad sugars and bad fats, but poor in nutrients.
That’s why I always found strategies for my two sons when they were kids and then teenagers (and we know it’s not easy at this age ;-)) eat in the morning before going to school. school :
- Wake them 10 minutes earlier for the appetite to come.
- Offer them a varied choice of foods, different according to the day.
- Take care of the presentation: it is more appetizing to eat cereals in a nice bowl ….
- Ban the television at that time: we eat at the table … we can not swallow food and pictures at the same time!
- The weekend is all together
Here are some ideas (to choose) to keep the pleasure of this meal indispensable, and diversify its diet:
- Black coffee (no milk!)
- Natural green tea, or flavored (mint or fruit …)
- A good quality cocoa: not very sweet, with a vegetal milk
- Boiled or fried egg
- Tuna omelet
- Natural soy or fruit yogurt
- White meat: a chicken rest of the day for example
- Bread “home”, with variations or an express version
- Buckwheat, chestnut, quinoa and chocolate sandwiches (dietary rays)
- Homemade cakes
Tip: I always make 2 gluten-free cakes at a time, and I freeze one; you do not have to cook every night in preparation for breakfast!
- Cereals (gluten free) with almond milk, hazelnut, rice, soy, chestnut …: you can add whole almonds and dried fruits to fill up with magnesium
- Fresh and seasonal fruits, accompanied by walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, seeds, dried fruits
- Jams, honey, maple syrup, spread (after verification of the composition or better, homemade)
- From margarine to butter, enriched with Omega 3, and without palm oil or hydrogenated fats
- Coconut oil
- Sesame purée, almond
- Clarified butter
For busy days, or the desire for a boost: a smoothie
And why not?
- A vegetable salad
- A piece of vegetable quiche
- A salty cake, like the sweet potato cake
A food choice
All these examples are adapted to each person, taking into account the tastes, but also possible food incompatibilities: for example for diabetics who must monitor the sugar intake.
But we must always keep in mind: nothing more boring and counterproductive than identical breakfasts every morning! So we change, we vary and we test.
If you would like to receive health updates, particularly with regard to the topic about gluten-free please click the link www.ytsubscribers.com/category/gluten/
There are also many easy to read helpful articles and information which can inspire you to reach your quality of life
Thanks for reading.[MK]